October has come and gone... and so did the weekend with my brother & sister-in-law, Michael & Jenna. I took a couple days off and made my trip to Virginia my October "thing". I went to visit them over Hallowe'en weekend (October 28-31).. there no costumes (or candy, actually) were involved.
I decided to fly out of Buffalo because it was significantly cheaper than Toronto (and faster than taking a train or bus) so Nichole kindly agreed to drive me there (which in turn worked out for her because we had time to have dinner at Olive Garden and she did some shopping before going back home). It was a short flight to Charlotte, NC and an even shorter flight from there to Lynchburg. Michael & Jenna live about 10 minutes from the airport so it was a short drive to their place at midnight! One peculiar thing I noticed at both airports were the rocking chairs... I've been to several airports around the world and never have I seen that before, so I took the opportunity to sit and rock in one. So relaxing!
| Sitting in the rocking chair, waiting for Michael to pick me up |
| sitting in the box watching the game |
| these are the bibs we were supposed to wear |
Sunday we slept in and made our way to Charlottesville. We stopped in this area where they had stores along a promenade.. of course I bought some stuff - shopping in the US is always more fun and I tend to justify my spending much better! ha. :) The big excitement for the day was dinner - we were going to "The Melting Pot"... OH.MY.WORD is all I can say! I've never been before, but it was an experience so worth the drive. Cheese fondue with apples, california salad, meat plate with awesome pork and angus beef pieces to cook up, and then my favourite - chocolate fondu! We chose the chocolate s'mores (or sh'mores) fondue and had strawberries, bananas, graham cracker & oreo covered marshmallows, and cheesecake to dip in chocolate - it was simply divine!! We were super stuffed but it was amazing!!! YUM.
My flight left around dinner time on Monday, so I had the day to do a bit more shopping. :) Michael and I drove around trying to find our favourite air freshener, but to avail. We were sad but we continue the search.. we will find it again one day. We had lunch at Ledos and stopped at a few stores before heading back to their apartment to pack. I was fortunate enough to remember that my parents were heading down a couple weeks later - and driving - so they could bring back everything I bought that wouldn't fit in my carry-on!
I had no issues on my flights home - thankfully! A guy on the plane certainly made it entertaining on the runway - he also thought he was great and thought the entire plane should hear everything he had to say.. but I have to admit some of it was funny! Nichole AND Michelle picked me up in Buffalo (which means Nichole had OG 2x that weekend, but I can't blame her, you can't go wrong with OG!)
It was a great weekend, driving around Lynchburg, getting tea & awesome pumpkin muffins from Joe Bean's (a local coffee/tea kiosk in a parking lot) and being at the rink - it's been a while since I've been in one! Looking forward to my next visit... soon.
ps. if you ever go visit Michael and Jenna they have an awesome couch to sleep on and a BIG, amazing cat, Marty, who loves to snuggle his head in your hair and attack moving toes and fingers under blankets - you've been warned!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment